Saturday, June 26, 2021

Slow Century

 I finished an unexpectedly touching 33 1/3 book on Pavement's Wowee Zowee this morning. Despite being on a Pavement listserv in the 90s, i never much approached them as a band, only listening to their albums in isolation. The fandom actually turned me off. The precious indie boys on that time irked me. Maybe it's because i hung out with quasi-goths and traded zines with earnest DIY punks.  

Wowee Zowee is my kid's favorite Pavement record lately. I'm not clear why. He's always seemed to like more songs from Brighten the Corners, but "Rattled By the Rush" is his jam. 

David Berman popped up a couple of times in the book. He came off as more of a jerk than i expected. I've listened to more Silver Jews in recent months than any time previously, in part because of his recent death after Purple Mountains. 

I half-watched Slow Century before, but i'll watch it in earnest ASAP. 



No comments: